Eppan on the South Tyrolean Wine Route
Holiday in the South of South Tyrol
Eppan is not only one of the most beautiful zones of South Tyrol, but it is also one of the warmest and sunniest. The municipality Eppan in the Überetsch consists of nine villages, so there is something for anyone: the main village St. Michael, the wine village Girlan, St. Pauls, Missian, Frangart, Unterrain, Montiggl with his lakes and the mountain villages Perdonig & Gaid.
Because of his beautiful location, Eppan was the most populated landscape of whole Tyrol already in prehistory. Precious finds testify this: a stone cist grave, Neolithic graves, finds of the Hallstatt- and La-Tène-period, enormous Rhaetian circular hill forts and roman coins.
Good to know:
- Eppan- land of castles: already the ancestors couldn´t withstand the charm of this beautiful landscape... Also the earls and aristocratic felt at home in Eppan... therefore it is the most castellated region of Europe!
- Eppan- land of lakes: In Eppan you will find two lakes, the Large and the Small Lake Montiggl! 24-26° of swimming temperature will make swim lover´s hearts beat faster! Embedded in the forest you will enjoy wonderful swimming days here!
- Eppan- land of wine: Eppan is the center of the largest wine area in South Tyrol and a rich fruit land. On about 1.200 hectare acreage more than 100.000 hectoliter of wine are produced every year here! The annual harvest was about 3.500 wagons. More than a dozen species are among the top wines of South Tyrol!
Tips for Eppan:
- Natural spectacle: the Frühlingstal, the Eislöcher and many other highlights await you! See also the hiking tips
- Weekly markets: best offers, lowest prices!
- MMM – Messner Mountain Museum! The alpinist Reinhold Messner founded a museum inside of the historical walls of castle Sigmundskron!
- Burgenritt - castel rode: every year at Pentecost cavaliers compete with each other. Ability, speed and skills are in demand!
- Wine route weeks: for one month the wine is in the center of attention! Highlight is the Night of Cellars!
- St. Pauls village fete: a highlight every 2 years in St. Pauls... the village fete! Music, entertainment, meat and drink in atria and cellars!
- Cellar fete in Girlan: every four years Girlan opens his cellars and delivers insights into the world underground!
Happy holiday in Eppan
In Eppan, the land of castles, lakes and wine, you won´t be bored for sure! Experience and explore a lot of things here! Our tip: stay in the Hotel Mandelhof in Girlan!